Unleash your potential with the Young Adults Support GroupA Supportive Environment to Develop Valuable Life Skills & Learn About Intergenerational Trauma sign up
Does this sound like you?
- You feel stuck.
- You are having a hard time finding your voice, developing independence, and creating boundaries with your family.
- You feel like you don’t have the skills necessary to make changes in these relationships.
Keep In Mind
Your relationships with your family and your environment play an integral role in your emotional well-being.
Feeling stuck, enmeshed, and small in your living environment can impact your confidence, interpersonal relationships, and mental health.
It’s more common than you think.
– tired of feeling alone
– want to do something differently
– You’re ready to hear from others who are going through the same transitions
Join us!Over the course of an 8-week group you will build the skills necessary to
- make changes in your relationships with your family of origin
- gain a better understanding of yourself
- learn to navigate your environment and important relationships in a healthy, empowering manner
Facilitated by Kamilah Wright, MS
The Empowering Young Adults support group is facilitated by Kamilah Wright, MS, a trauma-informed, black, Caribbean therapist. During the 8-week group, you will have the opportunity to learn from Kamilah and benefit from her expertise in intergenerational trauma and difficult family dynamics. Kamilah will provide a supportive environment where, together with other young adults, you can develop valuable life skills and feel empowered through a greater understanding of yourself and your family.
Improve Your Ability to Establish Healthy Boundaries
The Empowering Young Adults support group will help you to improve your ability to establish healthy boundaries. You will learn how to set boundaries with family members and other important people in your life, and how to communicate your needs in a respectful and effective way. This will help you to build self-confidence and lead a more fulfilling life.
Learn About Intergenerational Trauma and Enmeshment
The Empowering Young Adults support group will provide an opportunity to learn more about how intergenerational trauma and enmeshment show up across different cultures. You will gain a better understanding of how these issues may show up in your family, affect your life, and how to manage them in a healthy way. This will help you to better manage your emotions and understand yourself better.
Kamilah is here to support you.
She is a trauma-informed, Black, Caribbean therapist who is affirming of queer and trans experiences.
what you’ll get
The Empowering Young Adults support group is facilitated by Kamilah Wright, MS, a trauma-informed, black, Caribbean therapist, who has expertise in intergenerational trauma and difficult family dynamics. Kamilah provides a safe and supportive environment for young adults to learn valuable life skills and gain empowerment.
Affirming & Supportive Environment:
The support group provides a supportive environment where young adults can feel comfortable sharing their experiences and challenges. Group is facilitated by an anti-oppressive, black, queer-affirming therapist.
Weekly Topic Discussions:
The support group covers various topics each week that are relevant to the experiences of young adults, especially those in first generation and multicultural families.
While this psychoeducational support group is not a substitute for ongoing therapy, participants will have access to the knowledge and skills of a trained professional who can provide valuable insights and support.
Participants will be able to share their personal struggles and receive emotional support from others who can relate.
Participants will get the opportunity to explore, reflect, and learn strategies on how to understand themselves and their family through a new lens and overcome the challenges of being a young adult.
Wednesday, November 22, 2023
Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Wednesday, December 6, 2023
Wednesday, December 15, 2023
Wednesday, December 20, 2023
Wednesday, December 27, 2023
Wednesday, January 3, 2024
Wednesday January 10, 2024
Cost: $40 Per Group
Sign up closes November 17.
here’s a special deal for being committed
sign up for all 8 weeks and get one free
Develop Valuable Life Skills
Through attending the Empowering Young Adults support group, participants have the opportunity to develop important life skills such as setting healthy boundaries, managing emotions effectively, establishing effective communication strategies, and identifying personal goals for self-fulfillment.
Increase Self-Esteem and Confidence
By exploring dysfunctional familial relationships, developing self-confidence, and understanding personal strengths and achievements, young adults can improve their self-esteem and feel empowered to pursue personal growth and success.
Foster Empathy and Understanding
By exploring family dynamics and intergenerational trauma, participants can gain a deeper understanding of their own family backgrounds and gain insight into others’ experiences as well. Experience validation and connections with others who are going through similar challenges.
The support group fosters a positive and empowering environment where young adults can share personal experiences and challenges, practice skills, and support each other’s growth and progress.
Participants will develop valuable life skills in boundary-setting, communication, managing emotions, and navigated difficult conversations that will lead to healthier relationships with family, friends, colleagues, and partners.
(subject to change)
Week 1: Navigating Dysfunctional Familial Relationships
- Explore common difficulties faced by young adults in dysfunctional family dynamics.
- Share personal experiences and challenges.
- Discuss the impact of such relationships on self-image and self-esteem.
- Introduce the concept of empowerment and its role in building healthier relationships.
Week 2: Establishing Healthy Boundaries
- Define and discuss the importance of setting boundaries in relationships.
- Identify personal boundaries and communicate them effectively.
- Practice assertiveness skills and learn strategies for boundary enforcement.
- Share experiences and support each other in boundary-setting.
Week 3: Building Self-Confidence
- Explore the factors that contribute to low self-confidence.
- Identify personal strengths and achievements.
- Develop strategies for self-affirmation and positive self-talk.
- Share personal stories of growth and progress.
Week 4: Emotional Regulation and Reactivity
- Understand the impact of dysfunctional family dynamics on emotional regulation.
- Learn techniques for managing and expressing emotions effectively.
- Practice mindfulness exercises and coping strategies.
- Support each other in developing healthier emotional responses.
Week 5: Exploring Family Dynamics, What is Intergenerational Trauma?
- Discuss various family roles and their influence on relationships.
- Examine the effects of family systems on individual behavior and communication patterns.
- Share insights and experiences related to family dynamics.
- Foster empathy and understanding for different family backgrounds.
Week 6: Communication Strategies for Adult-Children, How Does Culture Play a Role?
- Introduce effective communication techniques specific to adult-children.
- Practice assertive communication and active listening skills.
- Explore strategies for resolving conflicts and navigating difficult conversations within the family.
- Share personal successes and challenges in implementing new communication strategies.
Week 7: Identifying Personal Goals & Understanding Enmeshment
- Reflect on individual aspirations and desires.
- Explore the importance of setting personal goals for self-fulfillment.
- Discuss obstacles and challenges in pursuing personal goals.
- Support each other in developing action plans to achieve desired outcomes.
Week 8: Strengthening Self-Identity
- Review personal growth and progress made throughout the support group.
- Celebrate individual achievements.
- Share plans for maintaining healthy boundaries, effective communication, and self-confidence beyond the group.
- Offer continued support and resources for ongoing empowerment and personal development.
Have more questions? Feel free to reach out to us!
Email Kamilah Wright at email@example.com
Stay up to date on our latest news & events
1518 Walnut Street, Ste 900
Philadelphia, PA 19102
4305 Locust St
Philadelphia, PA, 19104