L DeFelice, MEd.
I’m L! I am a black, genderqueer, neurodivergent, non-monogamous therapist who prioritizes work with queer people/couples. All aspects of my identity enrich my work and help me meet the needs of people with marginalized identities who may have thought therapy wasn’t for them.
I aim to build therapeutic relationships in which people can feel valued, understood, and accepted with no judgement, and practice returning these feelings toward themselves. I encourage people to look inwards to understand the inner workings of their minds, the past that shaped them, and the present that can ground them. In being vulnerable with me, clients can begin to bring gentleness towards all parts of themselves and find alignment with their truest selves. In our sessions, you can expect a non-judgmental, funny, transparent, open conversation where you can feel parts of yourself exhale.
In my work, I particularly enjoy exploring:
- Identity & experiences of people of color
- Relationships (non-monogamous/polyamorous & queer to the front!)
- Kink & sexual identity/experiences
- Queerness, gender, and sexuality
- Family issues & trauma
- Setting & maintaining boundaries
- Self-growth, acceptance, and fulfillment
- Presence and mindfulness
In my approach, the theoretical framework and treatment plan depends on the unique needs of the client, but I have experience using:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Inter-Family Systems (IFS) “Parts” Work
- Relationship/Interpersonal Therapy
- Spiritual (Transpersonal) Therapy
- Existential Therapy
- Multicultural/Feminist Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Mindfulness and Playfulness (as well as yoga and breathwork)
L is supervised by Leah Cohen, LCSW